Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Travel Journal Pages

Good Morning!
Yesterday I was so happy to see the sun and for the temp. to hit about 45 degrees. Did my tired of winter soul a bit of good.
So I came home yesterday after having a chat with the daughter in a Burger King Parkinglot about a sticky roomate situation and photographed some recently done pages in my travel journal/scrapbook...whatever you chose to call it. It is a scrapbook of a trip-yes...still working on summer of 2009...but my style is more journalistic in some ways...I like to make the photo the center of the page and add around it but not overwhelm the page. And me, I'm kind of messy, grungy, distressed style. Lastly, I like the page to match the "feel" of the photo. Back to nature have a nature feel, city has a city feel, etc.
So here you go, a few pages to view.
Here's a page that tells a part of the story. I like this page a lot. I used watercolor paper (my background sheets for all pages) and doodled the frame which I colored in black and green. I wrote in the words and colored and highlightened them. The bird is a die cut (I do love my Christmas Sizzix and you can see die cuts showing up a lot in my work now). I colroed the bird first with ink and then with Copics and I really like how it looks and how it feels on the page.
And for those you from Oregon, I now realize its Jacksonville, not Jackson. I apologize for my mistake.
In Jacksonville I got this photo of some mailboxes, which I like. So I created this page which I also like. I used background paper on my watercolor sheet. The flower and leaf are Sizzix die cuts which I used with leather paper and then added a marker stem and a page reinforcer ring around the flower. The postmark stamps are from one of my all time favorite and most used sets by Autumn Leaves. I wrote in the flower to and from because it fit what you'd find on an envelope at the post office.
Katie and Dave in Jacksonville...paper scraps, a die cut leaf, Making Memories and 7Gypsies stickers plus some Dimensional Pearl Paint dots.
Whoops, what's this? Its Harley, my baby-boy out on the SNOW in my backyard- taken on 3/29/11. You can see we still have a lot of that white stuff.
Our "joke" on the trrip was about the Happy California Cows like in a commercial on tv seen often around that time. This time we were in Oregon and passed this field of cows. I decorated the page with the stamped image by Delafield...which never really stamped very dark, and then colored with Copics. I actually stamped it six times, colored all six, and then cut them out and put them on the page.
I really like this page too...I used striped paper which I distressed and then stamped some Tim Holtz images onto and also the words which is an old stamp from PSX.. Then I added the tag...which I made by die cutting a card overlay and then cutting that overlay in half (on a card it would go front and back of the card). I felt very clever thinking to do that. On that tag I stamped some Penny Black pine needles and then wrote out the words...except the California word which is a sticker from Making Memories. I like how I got the letters to look 3d...then added some die cut trees, a deer and a flying bird/hawk sticker from an older sheet I discovered in my stash, some Dimensional Pearl paint dots and  drew in the ground under the trees and deer. 
Katie in the redwoods...a BIG photos to show how big those trees really are. On the right hand side I added a file tab which I inked. I also inked and distressed the paper background a bit. I added some older rusty star stickers from in my stash, some Tim Holtz postcard tape over which I created a waxed thread design with Dimensional Pearl dots. 
Distressed background paper, 7Gypsies tape, some die cut scallops on woodgrain (Martha Stewart) paper, some 7Gypsies typewriter keys I got on super markdown, my Autumn Leaves postmarks again and just some scrap edges of Grungepaper.
I love the stamped background I made here using a Hero Arts pine tree and the hug a tree saying from I think either Prima...no...maybe Basic Grey...maybe. The 2 deer are stickers with some Hero Arts green pearls on them. The sun is an older magnetic stamp from a set I won on eBay and I highted and edged with brown marker.
I find coming home and doing journal pages like this is very relaxing and really does let out my creativity...without too much worry about how the final page looks. And because of that...I usually really like how the pages come out.
Like Rick Steves says...keep on travelling
and from me
make fun journal scrap pages.



No comments: