Friday, September 19, 2014

Study Time

Posting these before I head out my little weekend road trip.
I mentioned last week I am working on some Halloween canvases. Last week I showed you one. You
can check it out here if you are interested.
Halloween painting-the witch
Here's one that I am still working on. I have a few of views of it as it progresses. This one above is an mid-work view. The letters in the words still need something to make them pop and the background is a bit busy.
So I love this quote.
It was a little long for the size of my canvas, so I changed it a little bit.
It is so much fun to play with words.
So I added some color to my letters in that saying and made the eyes on the ghosts a little more scary. I added some black to a few busy background spots Still not right.
But I really love using the iridescent blue for the ghosts. Makes them have a semi-translucent feel. But still the background was bugging me.

So I added some googley eyes, which I really like.  Makes the painting a little more fun. I also rubbed some grey Silks powder over the spots that were too busy for me and I think this worked out well. And I added a few stars since the theme is about things going bump in the night. 
I need to work some more on the letters, but they are looking much improved. 
So it not quite there, but getting close. I think when it gets placed on my mantel, and you look at it from far away, it will look less busy but won't be too plain. What I really need to do I put it up and study it awhile. That look at stage.
That's the funny thing about many paintings. From up close you can't see the forest from trees -so to speak- (sorry for the cliche) but from far away, you can see everything just fine.
Or maybe I should just paint it over in black and start fresh!
I'll show you that view once I finish it up.
Thanks for stopping  by!




11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your Halloween painting, it is such a fun piece, and just right for this season! Valerie

Christine said...

Lovely Halloween piece!

Claire said...

This is just great - love the googly eyes :)
Happy PPF!

sheila 77 said...

This is great fun, I especially like the ghost bottom right, he is trying to be frightening but is really so sweet.

VonnyK said...

I love this painting, it's so fun and those googly eyes really make it perfect. Love it how it is.
Have a great weekend.
Von.

Jo said...

I love the blue ghosties. Looks like a fun painting. I like the changes you've made along the way.

Giggles said...

Loads of fun and I love how you are working it to your liking!!

Hugs Giggles

bellefrogworks said...

That is a fun piece - I know what you mean about the look at stage. I've gotten better about using that time to see if a painting is finished or it needs more work. I used to be so impatient to be "done Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Beth Niquette said...

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeek! lol So very appropriate for the upcoming holiday!

froebelsternchen said...

This is very cool-- gorgeous -- how clever with this black color over the busy parts... great effect with the letters as well!

Beth Niquette said...

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog Geometric! What a nice comment about that moon shot.

I was using a Sony Cyber-Shot. The actual lens says Carl Zeiss and Vario-Sonnar. I used the manual exposure setting. The camera has a 30x optical zoom.

Thanks for asking! I hope that helps!