Sunday, April 3, 2016

Dream A Little Dream


So yesterday I had the whole day to myself which is an unusual thing for me, and I must say I loved having lots of uninterrupted hours in my happy space. One of the things I did was make a few journal pages for AJJ.
There's a new challenge at Art Journal Journey this month. It is For The Record- inspired by a song, hosted by Linda

The song for my first entry is Dream a Little Dream of Me. This song has been sung by several people including Ella Fitzgerald (in one version with Louie Armstrong), Ozzie Nelson and then in 1968 by Cass Elliot  with the Mamas and the Papas. I didn't realize that it was such an old song, actually written and first recorded in 1931.
So this page didn't begin as a song piece, but instead I was using up some paint to make the background. But while the paint was wet I put the heart and the left eye down, and they stuck by the time I went back to them, so then it was either add more paint, trash the page or do something with one eye and a heart on the bottom.  So I painted in the right eye, painted over the left eye and the heart, added the lips, and then painted my moon which looks more like an icky cookie than the moon. Hard to believe that a face was easier to paint than the moon. Then I added the tear and the eyebrows along with the words and the stamped stars. I thought the background was a bit dreamy, like when you close your eyes and see colors.

Having the whole day I also had time to pull a few winter things out of my closet and bag them up until next year. Plus I read quite a bit of my latest nonfiction book In the Kingdom of Ice: the Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette, by Hampton Sides.He's one of my favorite new author finds since I finished reading Blood and Thunder  (about the settling of the southwestern US) a few weeks back. 
And look what I spotted in the garden.


Not quite in bloom yet but almost. If we didn't get this dusting of snow or this cold weather that's suppose to last for a couple of days they might have been really pretty today.
And when I went up to the grocery store to get something for dinner, I drove by a local lake on my way home and got this evening view, just before it started to rain.
Hope where ever you are it is warmer and more spring like than here in New Hampshire.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely journal page, thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey. Glad the flowers are starting to bloom, but it does look cold. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Wow.. I love this page... there are so many layers and all together make it just SUPER!!!
Great song as well!!!
I love your photos -- I have some little botanical tulips, primeroses and snowdrops now here in the garden and I hope that this is a good sign for spring now.... finally!!!
Happy new week ahead Erika!
I am busy just now with housework( our new bathroom is nearly finished) and other not very interesting things (like visitors which invite themselves) ... no time for making art and for myself...grrrr.

oxo Susi

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh I just love that song from the Mamas and Papas! What a wonderful page.
xoxo
MiSchra

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

A very interesting page Erika, I do like the way you use colours, it's very powerful.


Love and hugs
Maarit

Anonymous said...

you spent your time beautifully!!!
The journal pages are wonderful,,
spring flowers,,lovely,,
we still have SNOW!

Meggymay said...

Love the background on your fantastic journal page, it was a super song title to use.
Yvonne

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I kept thinking I'd heard that song before, but couldn't place it until you mentioned Cass Elliot. Slightly before my time, but still impressive, as was the art. That could be a record cover (yes, that's really old school) because the painting very much interprets the song, at least the part I remember.

And here you said you had no color in your garden, but look. The ground is giving way to perfect beauty.

Have a fantastic Sunday, dear.

Becky said...

A fabulous page for a great song

Anie said...

What a lovely page and a wonderful song! Great choice!