Sunday, August 7, 2016

Black Sand Beaches

Happy new week everyone. I had a good weekend, Saturday was a little sketchy with some passing thunderstorms but the rest of the weekend was beautiful. I actually enjoyed having a day that was not so perfect because it made  Saturday a leisurely day and gave me a chance to squeeze in a little studio time as well as getting a few chores done.  
So today I have a ridiculously simple page for Gill's challenge at Art Journal Journey. The challenge is Nature's Wonders, and I made this page the other day for my Iceland  travel journal.
In parts of Iceland there are black volcanic beaches. We visited on in the town if Vik on the south coast of the island. Although it was a beautiful day, it wasn't a day to lounge your bathing
suit, so basically we walked the beach.
I actually took this photo which inspired me to make this travel journal page. (And my new blog header.)
I used some black molding paste which I mixed with a little sand. And I die cut and added the feather. If I was smart I would have brought home that feather and put it in my journal, but I wasn't thinking that far in advance.
That's all, but black sand is one of natures wonders. (And if you don't know, it is formed when volcanic rock is ground and eroded into tiny little pieces.).
Here's a few more black sand beach photos.

 I love this one with the little red roof church off in the background.



That's all for me today. Make your day a good one.

15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your black and white journal page, very beautiful. Black sand always looks good. Fantastic photos, too, it must have been a wonderful place to visit. Thanks for joining us at AJJ with your nature's wonders again. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed seeing all your pics. Stone which is kept one above the other looks beautiful.

Jeannette said...

beautiful page,love the white feahter and the sand.
the photos of the land is super,i love the old church.
have a nice week.

hugs jenny

froebelsternchen said...

Your page is awesome in it's simplicity!
The original feather would have been gorgoues indeed but I think it's an EXTRA that you built your own version of it!

The vulcan land photos are admirable - I pinned some to my <all things nature pinboard< to come back to them from time to time - I hope this is o.k. for you!
Your new header is wonderful as well, I saw and admired it already but forgot to mention!
Looks great!
Thank you for another fantastic entry to Art Journal Journey Erika !
I wish you a good new week again!
oxo Susi

Lisca said...

I love your page for its simplicity. It immediately reminded me of Iceland sand. Did you make it a bit grainy? I can't see from the photo.
Thanks for more photos. Yes, that photo of the church near the beach is awesome, and the 'cairn' on the beach too. Did you assemble it or was it there already?
I'm enjoying the Iceland photos. Keep them coming please!
Hugs
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Well, dear, you blew my mind. I thought for sure that was a photo of a feather on the beach. I had NO idea you actually created this using art supplies. Yep, BLOWN away! Now THAT'S a miracle of nature!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never seen a black sand beach in person, so I appreciate you sharing your trip. Beautiful!

Gibby Frogett said...

You've captured the dramatic landscape perfectly on your page with the black sand and white feather - love it! (and your new header)
Thanks again for sharing your wonderful photos.
Wising you a good week too... Gill x

Little Artbee said...

A very georgous page dear Erika and the photos of the black sand beach are great. Island is a very interesting country isn't it?
Have a nice week, stay healthy and creative.
Hugs Sabine

Meggymay said...

A stunning page, and your new header looks great as well. Nature sure shares some wonderful things with us, black sand and the white feather awesome contrasts together. Super photos as well.
Yvonne x

Let's Art Journal said...

Gorgeous page! I kept meaning to ask if your new header was volcanic sand, it caught my eye as it looks so sparkly and the white feather is such a lovely contrast. The molding paste and sand worked wonderfully - you have recreated the black sand beautifully with sparkle too making the white feather pop off the page. Your photos are so cool, I love the ones with pebbles in. Thanks for sharing and have a great week! J :-)

Anonymous said...

What an amazing trip. I bet you are so glad you went. I sure would be. So many people are
going to Iceland this year that we know. I do love that church shot, what a great capture. xox

~*~Patty S said...

Your page captures Iceland's wondrous black "sand" beaches beautifully Erika. That is such a special thing.
Your red roof church photo is fabulous!
Rock cairns and he♥rt rocks OH MY I would have been in heaven.
oxo

Jeanie said...

Never seen black sand before. I had no idea. I like the new blog banner -- the feather is beautiful and you really captured the concept of the black sand. Nice!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! This is incredible! I am having a bit of a catch up on your photos and then I see this !! The photos are beautiful but your page is really special! Hugs, Chrisx