Saturday, November 19, 2016

Life Lately

Howdy everyone.  Its Saturday evening and the space in my back between my shoulder blades is SOO sore. With some nice weather (before it all changes tomorrow they say), I have been raking and finishing up my yard work. Yahoo! Happy to do it and even though I am sore , it is all for good.
You can see how beautiful a day it was on my morning walk today.
Luckily my daughter was home today and helped me out by running the lawn mower over the backyard to pick up the leaves.  I only wish the lawn mower could go through the gardens and over the driveway where  some large leaf dunes had formed. But I got those all cleaned up today so should we need to clean snow in a few days we won't be shoveling wet leaves along with the snow.
 I'm a little worried that we might get  deep snow. But hopefully we don't, and if we do, I have the name of a plow guy.
So I hate to say my art output is way down lately. Last week I was back to work most days and then had to do some chauffeuring of the hubby home from dialysis. Never mind we've had visiting nurses and physical therapists coming and going from the house when I am home all day which takes up time. I did  manage to start some things because I had  a couple of  hours here and there, so right now I have a pile of slightly worked on pages which I am hoping I will get  back to tomorrow.  But as always, we shall see.
But sitting with the hubby and watching some TV with him in the evening, I did finish my first knitted Christmas stocking of the year.

I had fun playing with color and pattern. My goal  for this stocking was playing with colors and the black bear image that represents my and my hubby's college alma mater. 
I started another stokcing and this time I am playing with patterns from a geometric pattern book I have.
And in the book world I've been reading about food over the last few weeks.
 This cookbook and food read was interesting cake project that was part of National Public Radio's All Things Considered show. 50+ yummy sounding recipes for me to try as  Melissa Gray, the author, made one a week and took it into the Washington DC NPR station. I really enjoyed this book.
 This book was an enjoyable light and easy read. Maybe a little too light and easy, but I think a good choice for while the hubby was in the hospital and I was doing a bunch of waiting room waiting. It also has some yummy recipes in it.  
And I am inspired to make cookies for the holidays. I think molded cookies are gorgeous. and I have a couple of new for me molds that I picked up last summer at the hospital street fair (which is like a huge yard sale). I also got 4 for 99 cents and another one for  4 dollars on eBay.  But first, I want to find out what I need to do to make perfect cookies. 
And speaking of 99 cent and $4 cookie molds, I had a gold mine when the $4 mold arrived yesterday. Look  what the seller stuffed the box with!
Tons of dressmaking pattern paper! I think I might have even been more excited about  this than the cookie mold.  Ha-ha.
Not much else new. Still nursing the hubby and getting excited for Thanksgiving coming up in less than a week. 
Thanks for visiting.

9 comments:

Christine said...

Interesting post Erika! It does look like it was such a nice day. I like books that are easy reads.

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

So very wise to take care of the leaves Erika, we had 20 inches of snow last Wednesday... with wet leaves. The snow is all gone by now, but hey ho, the effort to get the car out was huge.

Love the patterns and colours you used for the stocking, especially the black bear. I'm looking forward to see some molded cookies.

Hope your hubby is doing well.

Lots of love and warm hugs
Maarit

froebelsternchen said...

Wow.. you were busy! Great to have done all this work. Hope the snow will not come too soon and not too much of it for you!
Great knitted Christmas stocking - so much fantastic patterns in it!
Relax from all those work - it's now not good for the space between your shoulders to do anything more of this hard work - just doing art and relaxing is good now!

oxo Susi

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never seen a cookie mold before. I'm not sure I've heard of them. But the one you showed is gorgeous. And you lucked outon the dress maker's tissue. Had I known, I'd have sent you some. It makes great backgrounds and collage.

Glad your daughter was there to help with the winter clean up. I don't suppose she would come help me (grin).

Your sock is adorable. Sally was telling me that her sister told her that socks don't have to match anymore. That's when I told her about the socks you bought this summer while at baking school. Now THOSE I would wear, but a blue sock and pink sock with a red skirt would make my teeth set on edge.

So how many cakes can we expect you to make in the coming year? 50?

Hope your Sunday is well, and your husband continues to improve.

Valerie-Jael said...

Had to laugh that you loved the packing paper so much, you will surely have fun with those patterns, lucky you! Hope the pains in your back soon go away, and that you get some time in between shoveling leaves and snow! The past weeks have meant a lot of stress for you, so hope you are now able to relax more, knitting Xmas stockings is a great idea. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to have a ride on this path. Beautiful cookie mold...

Divers and Sundry said...

It's been colder here, too, with highs in the 50sF, but if we get snow it won't be soon. I'll have to make do with pictures of your snow ;)

I never had much luck with cookie molds. The dough stuck the few times I tried. I still don't know what I did wrong.

Meggymay said...

Lovely post, your garden looks so neat and ready for winter. Hope the snow stays away longer, although we are have very hard frosts at night now.
The cookie cutter looks super and I think I would have been thrilled with the packaging.
Oops nearly forgot to mention the knitting, it looks awesome.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

I laughed out loud when you said you were more excited about the dressmaker packing than the stuff within--I know EXACTLY what you mean! I've often felt the same way!

It sounds like lots of things I love -- baking cookies, especially! You have a very big yard -- so glad you had help with your leaves. We got a bit of snow over the weekend but nothing that stuck. The cold, I think, is going to stick a rather long while now!